As part of Pinoy R.N.'s commitment to help nursing board examinees who are scheduled to take the PRC Nurse Licensure Examination next month, here are some tips on how to study for the nursing board exams effectively:
- Study when you are most alert. Some people study better at daytime while others prefer to study at night or even during the wee hours of the morning. Whatever your preferred time is, it is important to study the most difficult materials of the June 2009 Nurse Licensure Examination when you are most alert to help you focus more on the topic at hand.
- Choose an appropriate study area. Your study area should be conducive for studying. An appropriate study area is well-lighted, well-ventilated, and free of distractions. You should also have a sturdy desk where you have your reference materials within your reach and a chair that supports good posture.
- Create a Priority List. Barely a month before the June 2009 Nurse Licensure Examination, you should have identified nursing topics that you know very well and those topics you still need to improve on. Create a task list so you can appropriate more time for in-depth review on nursing topics you find most difficult and keep track of the nursing topics you have covered and those you still need to study on.
- Take short breaks. After long, grueling hours of reviewing for the NLE, you need to take short breaks to recharge yourself. You need to walk around the room, stretch your limbs, and take cleansing breaths to improve your circulation and relax your mind and body.
- Take time to nourish and hydrate yourself. Give particular attention to what you eat and drink during study periods. It is best to eat small meals every 3 to 4 hours to maintain your energy levels and avoid feeling drowsy and sluggish. Also remember to consume lots of fluids to keep you hydrated and refreshed even after hours of studying.
- Have enough rest and sleep. While you need to spend long hours studying for the Nurse Licensure Examination this June, your body needs to rest in order to be in peak operating condition. When you deprive your body of the much-need rest and sleep, you will feel groggy and find it harder to concentrate on your review for the NLE.
- Make use of study tools. When reviewing for the June 2009 Nurse Licensure Examination, you need all the help you need to maximize your study time. For example, if you have a hard time remembering laboratory values and drug antidotes, why not make cram sheets on these topics? Cram sheets are handy and you can go over them whenever you have the time.
- Join a study group. When you think you have covered all the nursing topics included in the Scope of the Nurse Licensure Examination, one way of supplementing self-study is by joining a study group where you can exchange notes, nursing mnemonics, and tips with other group members. There may be nursing topics you have missed out on and other group members may be able to explain them to you thoroughly.
Remember that in order to succeed in the June 2009 Nurse Licensure Examination, you have to go beyond just basic studying. It is very important to learn how to study effectively and use valuable study time to your best advantage.
Pinoy R.N. and Ward Class will be posting more exclusive nursing review tips, review notes, and last-minutes advisories to June 2009 nursing board examinees in the coming days and weeks so be sure to check back regularly.
Alternatively, examinees to the June 2009 PRC nursing board exam may also opt to receive nursing board exam tips and updates via e-mail by submitting a vailid e-mail address below.
Healthy Eating for the Nursing Board Exam
Surefire Tips for the Nurse Licensure Examination
Prayer for Nursing Board Examinees